7th Cavalry patch
The 7th Cavalry Regiment is a Tactical Realism unit that has multiple areas of operation. It includes Arma 3, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty 4 and Insurgency. Its official battle cry is "Garry Owen", in honor of the Irish drinking song Garry Owen that was adopted as the march tune of the real life 7th Cavalry.
The 7th Cavalry Regiment is currently comprised of 2 Battalions.
1st Battalion covers ArmA 3 operations and is comprised of three companies: Alpha Company, Bravo Company and Charlie Company. The 1st Battalion Training Unit is responsible for training all of the new troopers assignment to 1st Battalion. Alpha Company is composed of 2 platoons; 1st platoon (transport rotary) and 2nd platoon (attack rotary/multirole fixed wing). Bravo Company is composed of 2 platoons; 1st platoon (armour) and 2nd platoon (mechanized/heavy weapons infantry). Charlie Company is composed of 2 platoons; 1st platoon (airborne infantry) and 2nd platoon (mobile engineerign/indirect fire support).
2nd Battalion covers Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Battlefield 4, and Insurgency operations and is comprised of two companies: Bravo Company and Delta Company. Bravo Company is composed of 3 platoons: 1st platoon (CoD4), 2nd platoon (CoD4), and 4th platoon (INS). Delta Company is composed of 3 platoons: 1st platoon (aviation), 2nd platoon (armour/mechanized infantry), and 3rd platoon (airborne infantry).
History of the 7th Cavalry Regiment (Clan)
General Plumbly started the 7th Cavalry Regiment in 2002. The unit’s original area of operation was Medal Of Honor Allied Assault. The 7th Cavalry name was picked due to a combination of things. The first was that General Plumbly wished to pick a unit steeped in tradition and one that was not being utilized by any other unit at the time. So one night, while watching the movie “We were Soldiers,” the idea came to him.
The early years
The 7th Cavalry was formed 15 October 2002. The first year was very slow for the 7th Cavalry due to the fact that General Plumbly, then Col. Plumbly, was new to running a clan. It took time to get a website. Communications and servers were also a spotty issue.
By late 2003 the 7th Cavalry had progressed to Call of Duty and had obtained a website, communications, and a server. The growth of the 7th Cavalry had begun. The Cav expanded into Call Of Duty United Offensive and the enlistments boomed. The 7th Cavalry grew and grew quickly. It became a recognized unit in the gaming community and quickly grew to between 50 to 100 troopers at any given time.
Toward the end of 2004, the 7th Cavalry broke into the then-new Americas Army and gained a new kind of following in the realism genre. Enlistments quickly soared to well over 100 troopers. Due to the nature of the game, and the fact that hackers were abundant, the Command Staff decided it would be in the Regiment's best interests to shut down Americas Army.
2005 - 2006 were stellar years for the 7th Cavalry Regiment. The Cav fought several wars with the 3/77 Tigers Unit, and succeeded in being victorious! However, it did see some inner turmoil. Several Break-Off units formed. The first was the United Fighting Force run by several former high-ranking members of the 7th Cavalry. This clan started a war with the 7th Cavalry but was quickly and soundly destroyed, never to be heard from again. Approximately 8 months later The Teabag Crew broke away taking approximately 20 members. By the end of 2006 more troubles were on the horizon. Several high-ranking members of the 7th Cavalry began to spread dissention in the ranks; making false allegations against General Plumbly and then fabricated lies thus causing a major split within the cav. The HCMR was formed. Taking approximately 30 or more members from the 7th Cavalry. At this time, General Plumbly was on an ELOA due to having moved and not having an internet connection.
At the beginning of 2007, General John returned from an LOA and began to try and restructure the 7th Cavalry in General Plumbly’s absence. However this was met with great resistance by the remaining members. Thus causing the final split, The Beergut Brigade was formed.
General Plumbly then had enough of running the 7th Cavalry and closed the doors for the first time in 5 years. However, the Cav wasn’t dead! With the coming of Call of Duty 4, General Plumbly, General John and General Cavtrooper saw the future of the Cav!
A New Era
On 20 October 2010, General Plumbly retired. General Unix assumed command, with General Bahama serving as Executive officer.
History of the 7th Cavalry Regiment (Real Life Unit)
The 7th Cavalry Regiment is a United States Army cavalry regiment, whose lineage traces back to the mid-19th century. Its official nickname is "Garry Owen", in honor of the Irish drinking song Garryowen that was adopted as its march tune.
The regiment was constituted on July 28, 1866 in the Regular Army as the 7th Cavalry. It was organized on September 21, 1866 at Fort Riley, Kansas as part of an expansion of the Regular Army following the demobilization of the wartime volunteer and draft forces. From 1866 through 1871, the regiment was posted at Fort Riley and fought in the Indian Wars, notably at the Battle of the Washita in 1868.
Typical of post-Civil War cavalry regiments, the Seventh was organized as a twelve company regiment without formal battalion organization. However, battalions — renamed "squadrons" in 1883 — did exist. Companies A–D were assigned to 1st Battalion; Companies E–H were assigned to 2nd Battalion; and Companies I–M (no company J in Regiment) were assigned to 3rd Battalion. Throughout this period, the cavalryman was armed with Colt Single Action Army .45 caliber revolvers and single shot Springfield carbines, caliber .50–70 until 1870 and caliber .45–70 until 1892. He used one of the many variants of the McClellan saddle. Sabres were issued but not carried on campaign. The Seventh was the only U.S. cavalry regiment of the period to have a band, as the infantry regiments did also. This is thought to have been the idea of Major Alfred Gibbs. This band adopted "Garry Owen" as their favorite tune and thus gave the Seventh their nickname among the rest of the Army. The troopers in the West didn't only fight Indians: on July 17, 1870 in Hays, Kansas a shoot-out between Sheriff Wild Bill Hickok and two troopers resulted in one soldier dead of wounds and one wounded. From 1871 through 1873, 7th Cavalry companies participated in constabulary duties in the deep American South in support of the Reconstruction Act, and, for half the regiment, again in 1874–1876. In 1873 the 7th Cavalry moved its garrison post to Fort Abraham Lincoln, Dakota Territory. From here, the regiment carried out the historic reconnaissance of the Black Hills in 1874, making the discovery of gold in the Black Hills public and starting a gold rush that precipitated the Great Sioux War of 1876-77. Lieutenant Colonel George A. Custer was defeated at the Battle of the Little Bighorn on June 25 and 26, 1876. Although the Seventh is best known for its catastrophic defeat at the Little Bighorn, the regiment also participated in at least one victory: the capture of Chief Joseph's Nez Perce at the Battle of Bear Paw in 1877. The Regiment perpetrated the Wounded Knee Massacre on December 29, 1890, the end of the Indian Wars.
Before World War II
In 1892, the Army replaced the Springfield .45–70 Rifle with the U.S. Magazine Rifle, Model 1892, also known as the .30–40 Krag-Jorgensen Rifle. A carbine version, the M1896, was issued in 1896.
From 1895 until 1899, the Regiment served in New Mexico (Fort Bayard) and Oklahoma (Ft. Sill), then overseas in Cuba (Camp Columbia) from 1899 to 1902. An enlisted trooper with the Seventh Cavalry, "B" Company, from May 1896 until March 1897 at Fort Grant Arizona Territory was author Edgar Rice Burroughs.
In 1903, the Army replaced the Krag .30–40 with the M1903 Springfields, initially in caliber .30–03 and later in its more familiar .30–06 form. In 1911, the Army adopted the M1911 Automatic Colt Pistol, replacing the Colt single and double action .45 and .38 caliber revolvers.
The Regiment served in the Philippines during the Philippine-American War from 1904 through 1907, with a second tour from 1911 through 1915. Back in the United States, the Regiment was once again stationed in the southwest, in Arizona (Camp Harvey J. Jones), where it patrolled the U.S.-Mexico border and later was part of the Mexican Punitive Expedition of 1916 to 1917. In December 1917, 7th Cavalry was assigned to the 15th Cavalry Division, an on-paper organization designed for service in France during World War I that was never more than a simple headquarters because of the speed in which the war ended after the entry of the United States. 7th Cavalry was released from this assignment in May 1918. On September 13, 1921, 7th Cavalry Regiment was assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division, which assignment was maintained until 1957. The Division and its 2nd Brigade was garrisoned at Fort Bliss, Texas, while the 1st Brigade was garrisoned at Douglas, Arizona. Additional garrison points were used as well.
The 7th Cavalry Regiment continued to train as horse cavalry right up to World War II, including participation in several training maneuvers at the Louisiana Maneuver Area on April 26, 1940 – May 28, 1940; August 12–22, 1940; and August 8, 1941 – October 4, 1941.
World War II
The 7th Cavalry Regiment was dismounted on February 28, 1943, and started packing up for deployment to the Pacific Theater, still part of 1st Cavalry Division. The 7th Cavalry staged at Camp Stoneman, California on June 18, 1943, and departed the San Francisco Port of Embarkation on June 26, 1943. It arrived in Australia on July 11, 1943, where it trained for combat, and then participated in the New Guinea campaign, which began on January 24, 1943, and did not end until December 31, 1944.
The regiment was relieved from duty in this campaign, and moved on to be reorganized under special Cavalry and Infantry Tables of Organization & Equipment on December 4, 1943, and then trained for combat and participated in the Bismarck Archipelago campaign, which started on December 15, 1943, and did not end until November 27, 1944. The 7th Cavalry moved to Oro Bay, New Guinea on February 22, 1944, and moved by Landing Craft to Negros Island to reinforce the units there on March 4, 1944, securing Lombrum Plantation.
The 7th Cavalry moved on to Hauwei Island, which it secured on March 12–13, 1944. The regiment continued on, and arrived at Lugos Mission on Manus Island on March 15, 1944.
The Leyte campaign started on October 17, 1944, and 7th Cavalry moved on towards the Philippines, and assaulted Leyte on October 20, 1944. 7th Cavalry reached the Visayan Sea in late December, 1944, and reassembled with the 1st Cavalry Division near Tunga on January 7, 1945. Leyte did not end until July 1, 1945, but 7th Cavalry was needed for the Luzon campaign, which started on December 15, 1944. Deploying again by landing craft, 7th Cavalry landed at Luzon on January 27, 1945, where the regiment engaged until the end of the Luzon campaign on July 4, 1945. 7th Cavalry again reorganized — this time entirely under Infantry Tables of Organization & Equipment, but still designated as a Cavalry Regiment, on July 20, 1945 to prepare for the invasion of the main Japanese islands. However, the invasion was not to be. 7th Cavalry Regiment was at Lucena Batangas in the Philippines until September 2, 1945, when it was moved to Japan to start Occupation duty.
Occupation of Japan and Korea
The 7th stayed in Japan as part of the occupation force. Coincidentally, one of its officers during this period was Lt. Col. Brice C. W. Custer, the nephew of former commander George Armstrong Custer.
During World War II and the Korean War, it used the main weapons of the U.S. Army (namely, the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1911A1, and BAR). However, it converted to a tank unit, and used mainly the M26 Pershing. The conduct of 7th Cavalry soldiers with respect to their involvement with the massacre at No Gun Ri during the early part of the Korean War has come under fire. Their story is most fully told by a veteran of the regiment, historian and Army Captain Robert Bateman, who wrote a book on the event using veterans’ accounts and historical documents.
7th Cavalry Regiment was reorganized under a new Table of Organization & Equipment on March 25, 1949, when the Troops were once again designated as Companies.
The regiment was relieved from its assignment to the 1st Cavalry Division on October 15, 1957, and then reorganized under the Combat Arms Regimental System (CARS) on November 1, 1957. HQ & HQ Company transferred to the control of the Department of the Army. November 1, As part of this reorganization, Company "A" redesignated, 1st Battle Group, 7th Cavalry and assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division. Company "B" redesignated 2nd Reconnaissance Squadron, 7th Cavalry and Company "C" redesignated, 3d Reconnaissance Squadron, 7th Cavalry and assigned to the 10th Infantry Division.
After the Korean War, 7th Cavalry was used mainly in a reconnaissance role. It received the M14 rifle, along with various other new weapons and equipment (including the Patton tank). Also, a few OH-13s were used by the reconnaissance squadrons.
Three battalions, the 1st, 2nd and 5th served during the Vietnam War as the 3rd Brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division. 3rd Brigade often self-referred itself as the "Garryowen Brigade". These troopers were armed with the new M16 rifle, the M203 grenade launcher replacing the M79 grenade launcher. Claymore mines, and Bell UH-1B helicopters were also used extensively. The experiences of the 1st and 2nd Battalions at the Battle of Ia Drang in November, 1965, were recounted in the book We Were Soldiers Once...And Young by Lt Gen Harold G. Moore, then a lieutenant colonel and commander of the 1st Battalion, and United Press International correspondent Joseph L. Galloway. The book was later adapted into the film We Were Soldiers, with Mel Gibson as Moore and Barry Pepper as Galloway. The other 2 units, the 3rd and 4th reconnaissance squadrons were based in Germany, and Korea.
The 1st, 2nd, and 5th battalions were deactivated after the Vietnam war, and only the 3rd and 4th squadrons remained as divisional reconnaissance squadrons assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division and 2nd Infantry Division respectively. Both the 3rd and 4th squadrons were aviation-tank cavalry squadrons using M60 Patton tank, M113 & M114 Armored Personnel Carriers. Both squadrons had an air cavalry "Delta" Troop, that had both reconnaissance & gunship UH-1B's. The gunships were armed with M-5 rocket launchers, and M-22 anti-tank guided missiles. In the early 80's the 3rd Squadron became the divisional cavalry squadron for the 3rd Infantry Division and was stationed at Ledward & Coleman Barracks Schweinfurt West Germany. The Squadron consisted of two ground troops, two aviation troops and a headquarters troop. The ground troops were equipped with M60A3 tanks, M113 Armored Personnel Carriers, ITV (Improved TOW Vehicle, an M113 variant) and a mortar section with 4.2 inch mortars mounted in an M113 variant. In 1989 the M60 tanks were replaced with M1A1 Abrams tanks. The aviation troops were equipped with OH-58 scout helicopters and AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters. On November 16, 1992, the Squadron was inactivated in Germany and relieved of assignment to the 8th Infantry Division. The Headquarters and Headquarters Troop consolidated on December 16, 1992 with the 3rd Reconnaissance Company and designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry. On February 16, 1996, the squadron was assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division and activated at Fort Stewart, Georgia as the Division Cavalry Squadron and became the "Eyes and Ears" of the Marne Division, the "Iron Fist" of the XVIII Airborne Corps. The Squadron has been involved in several deployments since then including Operation Desert Spring in Kuwait, Operation Joint Forge in Bosnia, and Operation Iraqi Freedom. The Squadron was reassigned to the 2nd Brigade Combat Team of the 3rd Infantry Division in 2004 and as the Brigade's Armored Reconnaissance Squadron. Combat operations for Operation Iraqi Freedom III began on February 4, 2005 when the Squadron arrived at Forward Operating Base Rustamiyah located in southeast Baghdad. Immediately upon arrival, the Squadron began patrolling the area east of the Tigris River in the Rusafa and New Baghdad districts as well as securing Route Pluto North, one of the primary supply routes for the Division.
However, between 1974 and 1975 other units were reactivated. The 1st Battalion became an armored unit, the 2nd Battalion remained an air mobile unit with a recon platoon using motorycles moved by helicopters. After 1975, the 2nd and 5th Battalion were reorganized as mechanized infantry. In 1978, the 5th Battalion was once again deactivated.
Persian Gulf War
The 1st Squadron and 4th Squadron fought in the Persian Gulf War. The 1st Squadron was the divisional cavalry squadron for the 1st Cavalry Division and assigned to the Division's aviation brigade.
The 4th Squadron was also the divisional cavalry squadron for 3rd Armored Division, taking part of the Battle of Phase Line Bullet. Ground troops were armed with the M3A1 Bradley CFV. Air cavalry Troops AH-1F Cobras, OH-58C scouts.
The 1st Squadron served in the 1st Cavalry Division's 5th Brigade Combat Team (BCT) during its first deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom II from April 1, 2004 to April 1, 2005. The 1st Squadron, 7th United States Cavalry Regiment, commanded by LTC William R.Salter, distinguished itself by extraordinary valor and gallantry while executing combat operations in the Al Rashid District of Baghdad, Iraq. The Squadron defeated a surge of enemy attacks and neutralized insurgent and terrorist elements within its Area of Operations (AO) through a combination of constant day to day interaction with the populace, adaptable tactics and the tenacious fighting spirit of its troopers. In addition to securing an AO of 68km2 with a population of more than 1.2 million, the Squadron also secured ROUTE IRISH, a strategic highway and Multi-National Corps-Iraq (MNC-I) Main Supply Route connecting the International Zone (IZ) to the Baghdad International Airport (BIAP). The Squadron was also instrumental in providing a secure environment during the first Iraqi democratic election in January 2005. 1st Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment was awarded the Meritorious Unit Citation for its actions during this campaign. Most recently 1-7 CAV, commanded by LTC Kevin S. MacWatters, deployed as the Armed Reconnaissance Squadron for 1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 06-08 (October 6, 2006 to January 15, 2008). The Squadron conducted full-spectrum operations as a part of Multi-National Division-Baghdad (MND-B)in the Taji Area of Operations. During this deployment the Squadron was instrumental in the destruction of multiple Improvised Explosive Device (IED)and
Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device (VBIED)terrorist cells as a part of the "Surge", greatly enhancing MND-B's ability to secure Baghdad. The secure environment created by the Squadron in the Taji area enabled local government to take hold, local police and Iraqi Army forces to take over security operations, and the "Reconciliation" to successfully spread throughout the Area of Operations.
The 3rd Squadron fought in the Iraq War, Operation Iraqi Freedom and as the "Eyes and Ears" for the 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) and the "Iron Fist" for the XVIII Airborne Corps. The unit was engaged with the enemy earlier and more often in the war than any other unit. The 3rd Squadron was the spearhead and the screening force for the main elements of the 3rd Infantry Division. The 2nd Battalion was attached to the 39th BCT although assigned to 3d BCT. 1st CAV. Commanded by LTC James Rainey, the 2nd Battalion was the main combat power for the Battle of Fallujah in 2004. The U.S.M.C. personally requested the presence of the "Ghost Battalion" for the onslaught into the insurgent ran city. The Marines repeated their request for the Garry Owen Ghosts for the August 2004 battle in Najaf. The 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (11th MEU) Commander, Col Tony Haslam, attributed their success in the city to the brave Soldiers of the 2nd Battalion.
The 2nd Battalion moved from 3rd BCT, 1st Cav Div, Ft Hood Texas, to Ft Bliss to become part of the newly formed 4th BCT and in October 2006 The 2nd Battalion again headed for Iraq this time to Mosul. Within the first several months the Battalion took the first casualties of the 4th BCT. Since October 2006 C Co. 2-7 Cav. has endured 6 KIA and numerous wounded. The battalion redeployed in December 2007 to Fort Bliss, TX. The 5th Squadron has been deployed in 2005 and most recently January 2007. They are expected to redeploy home around April 2008. During their recent deployment they have remained unattached from 3rd ID, 1st Brigade and under the leadership of Lieutenant Colonel Wheeler, they have secured areas around Ramadi and Fallujah. Most recently they left operational control over the areas they secured in Fallujah to the II Marine Expeditionary Force so they could be an integral part of Operation Phantom Phoenix. As of January 2008 they have suffered 6 KIA and many wounded.
Currently, the 1st Squadron is the Brigade Reconnaissance Squadron for the 1st Brigade, and the 2nd Battalion organized as a Combined Arms Battalion is assigned to the 4th Brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division. Both battalions are stationed at Fort Hood, Texas. The 3rd Squadron is part of the 2nd Brigade, while the 5th Squadron is part of the of the 3rd Infantry Division 1st Brigade as the brigade reconnaissance ele